Monday, December 13, 2010

Add another one to the 'hood...

Congrats to every NYC pizza lover I know…say hello to my little friend and newest kid on the block, Artichoke pizza. The Staten Island bred brother duo, opened their 3rd slice joint a few weeks ago in my hood on MacDougal Street. I had the late night craving this past weekend and was finally able to try what everyone has been talking about since the original opened in 2008.  My girlfriend and I decided we had to try the infamous spinach-artichoke slice and since we were in the gorging mood, get a margaritha slice as well and split them.

Let’s get to the the not so good news first. After the initial few bites of the artichoke slice I was really liking it, creamy sauce, infused with garlic, butter, wine and chucks of spinach and artichokes, who wouldn’t love that? But by the time I reached my 4th bite it felt like I had eaten a huge tub of spinach-artichoke dip in one sitting and I’m not saying that in a good way.  At $4.50 a slice, I’d maybe try it again and split it among at least 3 people, giving it 1 ½ stars.

Now, moving on to the good news. I was pleasantly surprised how delish the margaritha slice really was! I’ve had my fair share of NY style pizza slices and I must say this has to be one of the best I’ve tasted. Chunks of basil, gooey cheese, tomatoes that taste like they’re from san marzano on a crisp crust that held its form really rocked my world (and it had nothing to do with the booze inhaled prior to my arrival, if that’s what you’re thinking). 



Needless to say a second round of slices were needed to top off the night, and I went to bed a happy camper. You wanna know the best part? It’s open from 11 AM – 5 AM every day. All in all, Little Star gives the margaritha slice a big 4 1/2 stars. Let me know what you think!

Happy Eating!

oxox

1 comment:

  1. The Margarita pizza was hands down one of the best slices I have had in NYC. As far as the Artichoke Pizza, I 100% agree that at first bit it is delicious. However it does get to be too much. In this case too much of a good thing is NOT wonderful! Thanks Little Star ;)

    ReplyDelete